|President:||Carolyn Hasaan, MSN, RN, CWCN|
|President Elect:||Carol Oliver|
|Program Coordinator:||Vilma D’Mello-Fernandes|
|Program Coordinator:||Heather Hedges|
|Public Policy:||Linda Droste|
To Contact Us: please use our contact form
Dates / Locations for Meetings
We meet on the 2nd Tuesday in January, February, March, April, May, September, October and November. Time: 5:30-8:30 PM. Location: TBA @ local restaurant for dinner, education, business.
- Each meeting sponsored by industry including a presentation from the company
- Each meeting journal club from a peer reviewed journal manuscript presented by a member.
- Each meeting includes a business meeting portion
Highlights of the 9/11/18meeting:
- Welcome to new members of the CV Affiliate: Joanne Mccrum, Diane Nolan, Allison Dizon, Mary Williams, and Joshua Carpenter.
- Congratulations to Heather Hedges from the VAMC who won the distinguished honor of “Top 40 Under 40” from the Virginia Nurses Association.
- Congratulations to Sue Creehan who was asked to present in Rome, Italy during the EPUAP conference last week.
- Congratulations to Carol Oliver who has recertified via PGP for her wound certification.
- It was announced that there will not be a Stepping Stones conference at VCU this year but a 1-day conference is being planned for the spring of 2019.
- Plans are underway for the 4th annual CV Affiliate community education program in March 2019. The focus of this year’s conference will be continence.
VCU Health's OSI-Stony Point looking for WOC Nurse to start Ostomy Clinic. Full Time, Mon - Fri
On April 22, 2018 the WOCN Central Virginia Affiliate participated in the “Richmond Crohn’s and Colitis Take Steps Walk”. Eight members of the affiliate manned a booth to provide support and information on ostomy resources and education available in the area. click pics for larger view
Congratulations to Linda Droste, MSN, RN, CWOCN who has been selected to be on the editorial board for the Ostomy Wound Management journal.
Sue Creehan is a co-author of:
"Extrapolation of evidence-related to dressings for pressure ulcer prevention may compromise patient safety"
This paper, written by an international group of experts in the bioengineering and clinical aspects of the design, use and evaluation of dressings for pressure ulcer prevention, addresses a central question, commonly faced by the medical device industry, clinicians and patients. read the article
PJ Miller has recertified for wound, ostomy and continence.
March 22, 2018 - Community Education Program: Click here to see pictures from the event
February 13, 2018 meeting: Guest speaker, Jamie Pugh, from the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation. A presentation was given on resources for clinicians and patients.
Information: An App to help patients/residents for Pressure Ulcer (Injury) Prevention
As a result of the work of a task force on a national Veterans Administration initiative, there is a new mobile App available for pressure ulcer/pressure injury prevention for veterans and their caregivers. However ANYONE, not just Veterans can access this wonderful tool.
With the app you will be able to:
- Access resources for pressure ulcer/pressure injury prevention
- Set reminders to reposition, eat, take medications
- Use tools for nutrition, exercise, and medication management
- Access caregiver support resources
- Create journal entries to track pressure ulcers/injuries
- Learn more about pressure ulcers/injuries
- Create a list of questions to ask your healthcare provider
- Get immediate help and locate a nearby VA or other medical facility
For more information click here to view/download the PDF file.