Current Board and Officers
|President:||Ferne Elsass, MSN, RN, CPN, CWON|
|President-Elect:||Lisa Radford, BSN, RN, CWOCN|
|Secretary:||Virginia Benko, BSN, RN, CWON|
|Member at Large:||Open position|
|Communications:||Karen Houchins, BSN, RN, CWCN|
|Public Policy:||Bridget Ahern, BSN, RN, CWON|
|Outgoing President:||Corrine Alvey, BSN, RN, CWOCN|
To Contact Us: please use our contact form
Dates / Locations for Meetings
We are a small but active group. We meet the 2nd Tuesday every month except June and October; either a luncheon or a dinner meeting. Locations vary.
Congratulations to Corrine Alvey, BSN, RN, CWOCN Hampton Roads WOC Nurse of the Year. Corrine has also been nominated for Mid-Atlantic WOC Nurse of the Year
HR Affiliate at the 50th Annual Conference in Philadelphia in 2018
HR Affiliate at the July Social Meeting in 2019
- Margarita Simón, MS, FNP-BC, CWCN, DAPWCA recertified obtain Autonomous Nurse Practitioner Practice from the Virginia Board of Nursing in August. Margarita is an incredible advocate for our local Nurse Practitioners. Great Work!
- Kathy Merkh with assistance from the HR affiliate members Penny Crawford, Joe Kraft and Lisa Radford helps with member support to provide monthly education to the ostomy support group. On the Peninsula, Claudia Thomas facilitates events and sits on the MAR board as Treasurer.
- Bridget Ahern compiled a detailed, comprehensive list of local certified outpatient ostomy nurse resources to distribute to the ostomy community. In the SNGH Cardiac OR, Bridget trialed alternating air overlay technology for pressure injury prevention and she is pursuing an MSN degree with an Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner specialty.
- Our current affiliate President, Ferne Elsass, serves on the MAR board as Secretary and is a board-appointed member of the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing Certification Board (WOCNCB®) Public Policy Committee. Ferne presented at the CHKD Pediatric Trauma Conference on Pediatric Burn Care, and presented a poster on Single Use Negative Pressure and the Pediatric Patient at WOCNext 2019 and SAWC. Ferne appeared on a local broadcast discussing the dangers of sunburn and provided an educational dinner presentation for the Society’s Greater Delaware Valley Affiliate.
- Sheryl Bailey sat on the WOCNCB committee that wrote and developed the CFCN flash cards.
- Eva Sauls completed her BSN at 65 years young. Way to go, Eva!
- Mary Hohenwarter and CJ Crane have re-certified in ostomy. Christina Bergey has re-certified in wound, ostomy and continence.
Hampton Roads supported UOAA on World Ostomy Day by completing a virtual 5K. With the help of family, friends and the HR WOCN, Ferne Elsass raised $360 for the UOAA.
(l to r) Claudia Thomas, Kathy Merkh and her granddaughter, Olivia, and Corrine Alvey