Scholarship Information and Application
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Region of the WOCN® Society's online scholarship application system. The online system is innovative, user-friendly, and allows for a faster review process. Please review the following criteria to ensure you are eligible to receive a scholarship.
2021 Application Forms are due September 24, 2021, and are now open. Open Form
- Must be a member in good standing of the Mid-Atlantic Region of the WOCN® Society.
- Must be employed within the Mid-Atlantic Region of the WOCN® Society.
- Seeking education in wound, ostomy and continence nursing care.
- Proof of one of the following:
- Acceptance to a WOCN® Society accredited Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing Education Program (WOCNEP) or Specialty Course.
- Current enrollment in a WOCN® Society accredited WOCNEP or Specialty Course. Certificate of completion from a WOCN® Society accredited WOCNEP or Specialty Course, within three months of graduation.
- Complete application.
- Three satisfactory letters of recommendation from professional associates who have known the applicant for at least one year (one from current employer is preferred).
- Has not been awarded an educational scholarship from the Mid Atlantic Region of the WOCN® Society in the past three years.
Once you complete and submit your application, the following items must be sent to the Mid Atlantic Region of WOCN® Society Scholarship Chair: (for more information contact our scholarship chair.)
- Three letters of recommendation that are signed by the person writing the recommendation, preferably on letterhead
- Proof of one of the following: acceptance, current enrollment, or graduation (within 3 months) from an accredited program or specialty course.
- Proof of membership, in good standing, to National WOCN® Society Society
- Proof of membership to the local WOC affiliate
- Proof of employment within the Mid-Atlantic Region WOCN® Society
After all of these documents are received, your application will be submitted for review.
Because of the awareness of the growing need for wound, ostomy and continence (WOC) nurses throughout the world and a strong belief in the continued growth and success of WOC nursing, Mid Atlantic Region of the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society (WOCN®) has established a program to award educational scholarships. The partial scholarships are made possible through contributions from the Mid Atlantic Region of the WOCN® Society.
The MAR Scholarship Committee is a standing committee of the Mid Atlantic Region. The scholarship program is operated under the auspices of the Mid Atlantic Region of the WOCN® Society, which raises, maintains and disseminates monies and is accountable for the funding of awards.
Scholarships are awarded to deserving individuals who are committed to working in the specialty practice of wound, ostomy, or continence nursing. Applicants agree to support the WOCN® Society's mission and the scope of practice for WOC nursing.
The WOCN Society's Mission Statement
The WOCN® Society is a professional nursing society that supports its members by promoting educational, clinical and research opportunities to advance the practice and guide the delivery of expert health care to individuals with wounds, ostomies and incontinence.
The WOC Nursing Scope of Practice
The WOC nursing scope of practice, recognized by the American Nurses Association, is the foundation of WOC specialty nursing. The WOCN® Society believes that the tri-specialty of WOC nursing is both an art and science encompassing:
- Advocacy and ethics.
- Disease management.
- Core curriculum and certification.
- Professional accountability.
- Nursing process.
- Care coordination and collaboration.
- Evidence-based practice and research utilization.
- Responsiveness to changing societal and health care needs.
The practice environment for a WOC nurse includes the following settings:
- Acute care.
- Outpatient care.
- Home care.
- Long-term care and extended care.
- Academia and education.
*Source: Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society. (2010). Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing Scope & Standards of Practice. Mt. Laurel, NJ: Author.
Statement of Nondiscrimination Policy
The Mid Atlantic Region of the WOCN® Society does not discriminate among applicants on the basis of age, gender, race, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or marital status.