I just wanted to reach out to provide and update on events in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
- I am excited that we had two dynamic nominations for Nurse of the Year. We will be announcing the winner at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference this October.
- We did have an applicant for our scholarship so that is closed for this year.
- We had one person apply to run for Treasurer, Judy Stasuk, so being unopposed she will be our new Treasurer for the Region. Induction will occur at our conference
- We still have the President Elect Position and Director Marketing/Fundraiser open. If you have an interest, please let me know as I can still appoint individuals to these positions.
I am looking forward to seeing you all at our Regional Conference in Hunt Valley, October 10 - 12, 2019. Please go to the MAR Conference Page to review the details.
As always, do not hesitate to reach out to me on any topics related to our Region.
Joan Sullivan, MSN, MAS, RN, CWON
President of MAR
2019 Annual Conference
The 2019 Mid-Atlantic Region WOCN Society Annual Conference was held October 10-12 in Hunt Valley, MD and was hosted by the Baltimore Affiliate.
Many thanks to Linda Arundel and Lisa Owens, this year's conference chairs and to the entire conference planning committee: Joyce Onken, Jeanne Arseneau, Sue Currence, Melanie KIarner, Rachel Moseley Bernadette Rock, Wendy Surguy, Melissa Venker and Cindy Walker.
142 attendees participated in this year's conference. For the first time optional concurrent sessions were offered on Conservative Sharp Debridement and Compression Therapy. The sessions were well attended and received rave reviews.
Congratulations to Corrine Alvey from Hampton Roads Affiliate and Rachel Moseley from the Baltimore Affiliate. These dedicated WOC nurses were nominated for the 2019 MAR WOCN Nurse of the Year Award.
Poster winners from conference:
1st place: Sarah Woodhouse "Four Eyes: Improving Admission Skin Assessment With Two-Nurse Co-sign"
2nd Place: Judy Stasuk and Liz Stehr "Impact of a Standardized Approach to Turning and Repositioning Patients at Risk for Pressure Injury Development"
A fundraiser, 50/50 raffle, was held to benefit Youth Rally and the winner generously donated back her winnings to allow the region to make a $500 donation to Youth Rally.
Our conference could not be successful without the support of our industry partners. Many thanks to the 44 companies and their representatives that provided the attendees with education on the products and resources that are so important to providing quality care to the patients we serve.
It was not all work and no play at conference! Attendees enjoyed a night of festivity wearing Kentucky Derby attire and enjoying dinner and trivia entertainment on Friday night.
Plans are already in motion for the 2020 MAR WOCN Annual Conference. The conference will be hosted by the Hampton Roads Affiliate and held September 24-26, 2020 at the Double Tree Hilton in Williamsburg, VA. We hope to see you there!
- Baltimore updates posted October 29th
Conference updates Central Virginia updates posted October 24th
- Blue Ridge update posted October 6th
- Hampton Roads update posted September 14, 2019
Sue Creehan publications >
Check the Jobs page for current listings.
VCU Health, Richmond, VA
Public Policy Update
Read the Public Policy page
updated by Bernie Rock - October 2019